Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Twenty Fourteen

For the past few years, my husband, best friend and I have tried to make a list of goals for the next year (11 in 2011, etc).  It has gotten too high to have 14 goals so I've decided on 4.  I can't believe it's this time of year again!  It feels like yesterday that I was making one of these right before I moved to Chicago and that was 3 years ago!  While the last few years have not come easy, I'm so happy to have made it to 2014 with my very best friends, great family and more in love with my husband than I was last year.  I'm pretty lucky. 

1. My first goal is to not look ahead and live in the future. To savor and love exactly where I am.  Michael and I are in a very transitional year and it's very easy to forget about the now and just look ahead all year.  I just want to enjoy today and try my hardest to not worry about tomorrow until it's here. 

2. Read a book a month.  I've had this goal for the past few years and really dropped the ball this year.  I really want to get back into my habit of reading consistantly.

3. Travel for pleasure as much as possible.  The last few years I have only traveled to visit my family and weddings etc.  That is obviously the priority but we have really missed having any vacations!  I would like to travel a few times to places we haven't been to relax and have some fun. 

4. To learn how to stand up for what I believe in without being offensive.  There have been so many times this year that I have written blogs that I haven't ever posted (ChickFilA, Miley Cyrus, Trayvon Martin, DuckDynasty... Just to name a few) just for the sake of being PC and also just to not stir the pot.  I'm not going to change anyone's mind but I also feel if I don't stand up for what I know is right, I will lose myself.  To quote one of many unposted blogs, 
"I'm a self proclaimed feminist who hates being one.  It's not too much fun, it gets on everyone's nerves (TBH I hate people who have a cause), and it generally means I feel the need to speak up when really I should just be quiet, roll my eyes and move on."
I want to learn how to roll my eyes and move on but also how to advocate for things that are near and dear to me. 

All in all, I am very excited to see what 2014 has in store for all of us.  I am trusting in God to take my family, friends and me where we are ready and willing to be this year.  
Happy New Year!  



No comments:

Post a Comment